My horse, Foxy, did not like stopping once on the way home! The guide was telling me to turn him around, which I did, but then he walked backwards and wouldn't listen to me! That was a little scary.
Icelandic horses are a special breed!
Did you know...
- that they have 4 some 5 different gaits?
- if they leave the island they are not permitted back on the island? -that's to prevent disease -that would be devastating to the country.
- competitions focus on the gait of the horse?
- there are 95 000 Icelandic horses in Iceland?
- they are thought to be the oldest breed of horses?
- the Vikings brought them over?
- they are now found all over the world - Canada included - and Germany has the most of them?
- this rancher gives them white bread as a treat after the ride?
- they will also get extra hay tonight?
- in the winter, their horseshoes will have spikes on them, same idea as cleats?
- they run free from birth until they are 4 or 5 years old?