Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Day 8

It’s the last day! Today we make her way down the mountain back to the gate. We got up at 5:30 AM, had breakfast and off we went. 

Today’s trail started out with rocks and cement mixed together and we walked down some pretty steep slopes for about two hours.  It was very slippery on the rocks - a few close calls for different people  Duma, our guide for the day, had a fall.  He broke one of his poles on the way down.  Luckily, he wasn't hurt.

After the rocky downhill came the muddy downhill!   It was thick, sticky mud that was extremely slippery.  Falling in that mud would have been messy!!  I believe we walked for about 4 1/2 hours to get to the bottom of the mountain where our bus was waiting for us.  It took some of our group much longer to get down to the bottom.  Two of our members were brought by helicopter to Moshi to seek medical help.  It's a good thing they didn't walk down this hill... I don't think their bodies could've handled it.  Two other members were picked up by jeep about 2 km from the end.  They were completely exhausted. 

It was another gruesome day of walking down the mountain.  At some point on the downhill, we came across a young porter who could barely walk.  I took care of her blistered feet the best I could with what little we had.  I gave her many words of encouragement and told her I would do better at the bottom when I had access to my bag.  I saw her multiple times on the way down, always encouraging her to keep going.  Once I got to the bottom, I saw her coming down, slowly but surely.  I ran up the hill to give her a hug and help her the rest of the way down.  We both had tears.  She was so thankful for my help... and I was happy to be able to help her.  

After everyone arrived, we made our way for our group lunch. I’m not sure we can call it eating it all together... we were segregated, the white tourists at a beautiful table and the black porters and workers on the ground.  I felt quite uncomfortable sitting at a beautiful table while our porters, guides and others had to be served after us. They didn’t even have cutlery or plates, they had to bring their own old plastic container to be served some food. It was a little heartbreaking.  I wonder if this would happen here in Canada.  I would like to think it wouldn't...

After speaking with Ian about this, he made Remi and I realize that things work differently here.  If we made the first move - for example take our plate and go sit with them on the grass, that would be viewed as ok... but the other way around, never.  They would probably lose their jobs.  This is so odd to me.  I regret not taking my plate and joining them... it was supposed to be a lunch for everyone together...

The place (I believe it was Safari HQ's main building) had a beautiful garden filled with colourful flowers. I found a nest of beautiful sun bird! There are also tortoises eating cabbage. 

After lunch, we made our way back to Moivaro plantation, where we spent the night. Tomorrow morning off, we go to the Safari.






A beer to conclude a very difficult trek!  I bet it never tasted so good! 

Coke and Pringles were my choice!  Man they were good! 

Myriam - 19, her first time as a porter... her poor feet! 
Natalie was looking to give her boots so I helped  to facilitate this! 




No comments:

Post a Comment