Sunday, August 6, 2023

Day 5

Today was day five and as usual, we got up at 6 o’clock started with tea, washy wash, and then breakfast. For breakfast we had millet, toast, no toast bread of some kind pita and eggs. Eating is difficult as your appetite diminishes in altitude.

Today’s an exciting day!  We get to face the Barranco wall. I’m feeling quite anxious as I can see it from camp and it looks terrifying!  We left camp going a slow downhill to a bridge. It’s so cold, the little waterfall has ice around it and icicles. We crossed the little bridge and started going up. Unfortunately, I forgot to start my watch at camp so I’m missing what I guess is about 1km.

The Barranco wall is interesting. You go up rocks, then down steep rocks with people helping you.  You arrive at this, let’s call it platform, where there’s a big opening.  You put your right foot on a rock and then you’re supposed to cross your left foot on the other side of the opening… that was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. I had a little bit of a panic attack but it passed fairly quickly. I’m grateful to have Remi and a supportive team around me. A bit later, you arrive at a thin ledge and a huge rock called the kissing rock. Kissing rock is a very narrow ledge with a big rock in the middle that you sort of have to hug on your way across the ledge. Let me tell you that was not fun. I did, however, hug and kiss the rock as I went by. Again very thankful for the team around me.

Next part was going up rocks, but it was easier than crossing the wall and the one we had done before. I got to the top of the mountain or whatever that was rested for a little bit started making our way down. The descent started pretty smoothly, slow grade, but all of a sudden it was a steepest hill. On the way we passed a large section that burned in a forest fire. The down section was extremely steep and slippery, because the ground is covered in a thin dust. Poor Ken fell on his tail bone. He was a trooper. Got up and kept going. I hope he didn’t break his tailbone.

As we’re going down, we get to a point where we see all the people going up on the other side of a ravine. When we got down to the bottom, there was a very small little creek of glacier water. We rested for about 10 minutes, and went again up, up, and up.

This part of going up we’re short but steep switchbacks. I wonder why they didn’t make them longer so they wouldn’t be as steep. We were climbing up rocks, slipping on pebbles and sand. It is absolutely gorgeous and well worth all the effort. When you got to the top of this climb, you finally reached camp for tonight. Looks like we will spend the night in the clouds. This means a cold night.

At around 6:00, the wind picked up. I got to watch the sunset behind a rock wall. Beautiful! 

As an aside note: today we saw many porters who were really struggling. I hope they know how important they are in our journey. We would not be here without them. I handed skittles to all the porters I saw struggling today. I hope I was able to make their day little better. Some passed us with a little pep in her step after eating skittles. I’m very grateful for them.

A second a side note: we spend approximately half the day in the clouds.

Oxygen level: 90
Something that scared me: the Barranco wall
Something that surprised me: Unlike in Peru, I am not suffering from headaches and only minor shortness of breath. 
Lunch: Leek soup, spaghetti, vegetables, bread and mango. 
Dinner: 

Music group - finesse












No comments:

Post a Comment