Sunday, July 16, 2023

Packing is a Process

I'm typically a last minute packer unless I'm headed for an epic adventure that takes planning to be successful.  Packing for an adventure is a process.

My process started a while back with just ideas rolling in my head.  I know the following:

  • We will have hot days, rain, wind, and freezing cold days.
  • There will be nasty disease carrying insects.
  • Many risks like slippery rocks, perhaps plants, falls, trips, bruises, infections.
  • and of course, high altitude which you can't really prepare for or know how it will affect you.  
The risks are numerous on any adventure but you can't let that stop you.  You just need to prepare as best you can!

Last week, I started taking out all the stuff I thought I might need.  I took out the clothing I want to bring, make sure I have bug spray, sunscreen, snacks...All this stuff on my bed, on the floor, in a basket, move it from here to there,  there to here, to everything on the floor so I can sleep in my bed.  This goes on for a few days.  Not the most efficient way but it's what works for me at this point of the planning.

Yesterday, I organized everything on my bed: 

  • A pile for the safari after the climb: no black or white, no bright colours, no shorts, no tank tops that leaves me with a pair of beige pants, a beige t-shirt and a grey t-shirt.  Easy.  
  • A pile for the climbing days: I have 2 pairs hiking pants (one light one heavy duty), 2 long sleeve merino wool shirts,  1 pair of merino wool long johns, 2 merino wool t-shirts, socks, underwear, gaiters (to keep pebbles out of boots), rain jacket, rain pants, puff jacket.
  • A pile of treats and nutrition:  I have skittles, beef jerky, almonds, chocolate, Tailwind for my water, salt tablets, dried fruit, Endurance Tap, and maple candies for the porters.
  • A pile for my backpack: my puff jacket, rain coat and pants, medicine (Malaria, altitude, Pepto Bismol, Advil, Tylenol, allergy, Immodium, script for severe diarrhea), treats for flight, hydration pack, empty 1L water bottle, camera, wires for phone and watch, earphones, battery pack, book and journal.
  • Already in my duffle bag: sleeping bag, mat, inflatable pillow, liner.
  • Other must haves: Hiking boots, trail shoes, 
  • Other: bag of toiletries, toilet paper, mitts, toque, winter underwear, buffs, balaclava, swimsuit.
That's where I'm at for now.  I'm sure some things will be taken out, others will be swapped.  As I said a the beginning, it's a process! 

Bags to organize our clothes.

The orange bag will be packed and
repacked multiple times.
This is the clothing and other stuff that
needs to be reduced to fit in the bag.
miscellaneous stuff that may
or may not come.





No comments:

Post a Comment