Thursday, August 1, 2019

Aug. 1st- Gard, Gordes, Aix

We got up this morning, still disappointed with le Pont d’Avignon and so we decided to go to Pont Du Gard- an ancient aqueduct built by the romans. It’s quite the beauty!  We had fun taking pictures from every angle!  We have lots to go through and delete I’m sure!


After this impromptu outing, we made our way to Gordes- another quaint medieval village.  Interesting to see how different they all are one from the other!  This one is built on rock- the view from the top is like a patchwork of fields and forests.  Another interesting thing is that the new part of the village is built to look like the old part- same rocks and walls.


In Provence, you always hear the cicadas. They seem to be everywhere!  As we were walking down the street, I could hear one at about eye level so I stopped to try and find it. Low and behold, there it was in all its glory!  I went to point out how long its wings were when it decided I was too close and it flew off, scaring me half to death!  I screamed and dropped/threw my phone!  Now I know not to get so close! 


We spent some time here, just enjoying the tiny streets then continued on our journey to Aix en Provence.  Our hotel is about 40 minutes from the hustle and bustle of town center. Nice walk.  This city is all about the arts and shopping- 2 things that don’t really interest us that much.  We really are here to ascend Mont Sainte-Victoire tomorrow morning.

We will have an early bedtime so we can get up extra early so we can hopefully get out before the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment