Monday, July 22, 2019

July 22

Monday, July 22 was the longest hike at 24 km long. It was not very technical or difficult. Simply a very long day. The trek started from the campground with almost half the group taking the bus to town to save 3 km. Those of us who walked followed the flat road for a while and then we went up up up up up up into a valley. We crossed the fairly hot valley.  Luckily there was a nice breeze. We went up to the first refuge. It was quite beautiful.  Under renovations.  Another break.  We like breaks...

We saw a little bridge which made Rémi and I think of the troll under the bridge.  We thought it would be funny for Rémi to hide under it and scare Jodi when she came through.  Ends up, Derek is the one that got scared - jumped up and made a funny sound.  A good laugh we all had!

A little later that day,  John (the guide) was saying something about mammoth -or so I heard.  I could not figure out what we were supposed to look for as mammoth have been extinct for millions of years!  I just had to ask him what he meant.  He looked baffled when I asked about the mammoth.  What he had said was that this was a good place for alpine marmots! Another good laugh!
This morning, we learned all about moraines and ice movements as we walked by receding glaciers.

We met a nice French man on our way down today!  We had stopped to have some ice cream and met Alain -who came in running.  We chatted about this and that through out our break.  He even offered for us to visit him later this week when the Tour de France was going by his apartment.  Unfortunately, we will still be hiking the mountains.  We said goodbye and were on our way when all of a sudden, he was among the group, running to his car.  The group separated in two - one group went the "easier" more direct way on the road, Rémi and I opted for the little trail.  Alain walked with us all the way to our campground, where his car was parked.  I'm grateful I can speak more than one language!  See what everyone else in the group is missing?!



The Alps is a wonderful spot to see butterflies and interesting bugs!  The flowers are also quite varied! I was surprised to see such a variety!  I think I will have to do a post just for that!
This bug had beautiful wings - I'm not sure if it was a moth or some other kind of insect... I will have to put it in iNaturalist and see if anyone will identify it!


Days are blending together.  My facts might not all be accurate! It all happened... only was it on this day or that day?  That's what happens when you don't have internet everyday and you leave your writing journal at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment