Thursday, July 25, 2019

25 juillet

We are back in France and today is supposed to be the most difficult day of all. You know that when John starts the day with "when in doubt, just go straight up" you are in for a difficult day! It was extremely difficult!  He sure wasn't kidding with the straight up part!  We ascended 3 times -and all three were very difficult to complete!  The weatherman called for torrid heat.  Whatever that means, I would agree... it was horribly hot! 

After our first ascent, we had the most wonderful blueberry and raspberry pieces of pie!  OMG that was delicious and would provide us with some energy for the next challenge -le col du tricot.  This was our only place to fill up our water bottles.  I made sure both my camel back and my bottle were full.  In this heat, you don't want to be caught without water!

The col du tricot was no joke.  We started ascending, wasn't too bad.  It got bad to worse very quickly!  I'm glad John let us go ahead to climb at our own pace, which was slow.  We got to parts that were so steep you could not stand up straight.  I kept saying to everyone we met "bonjour -sorry I can't look at you or I will fall on my back and roll down the hill!" I also wondered how some of the members of our group would manage this part.  I'm healthy and in shape and I feel like I'm going to die... add some weight and age and wow, difficulty level goes up again.  I'm happy to report that everyone got to the top!  John was a great help to them as he carried 3 or 4 bags up!  I had enough of my bag! 
We are going up there... 

On the way up those steep sections, I kept thinking thank God I don't have to come down this way!  I can't even imagine how that would be possible without sitting on my bum!  People do it though!

At the top, we had another very well deserved break!  The bad part is there is no shade to be had anywhere!  Bummer! As if we hadn't had enough yet, we descended again...which also meant we had one more time of going up and down again.  Remember 3 crossings today...

The third one was very difficult mentally.  We had some difficult ledges to cross, a suspended bridge to cross, more ledges, you get the picture.  I got through all of them with the help from Rémi and John.  I don't know what scares me.  I can't explain it.  I don't get dizzy, no vertigo, I have confidence in myself that I can do this, I just can't control this inexplicable fear of...I don't know what.  Important thing is I did it.  I push myself, I try as hard as I can not to let it stop me and then I can feel proud of my accomplishment. 

When we got to the top of the last crossing, I saw it right away.  Something no one else could see...the design of a hiker melted in the snow - crying as it had to cross on a ledge!  haha  It was clear as day to me... after explaining it, others could see it as well. 

Many members took the cable car down the mountain.  We have some injured and/or tired hikers.  5 of us + the guide walked down the mountain.  We had to hike down quickly as a storm was brewing and was imminent. You don't want to be stuck at the top of a mountain when lightning strikes.

So down we start.  Two of our hikers are going ahead of the guide.  John has let us do that before, knowing if we get to a junction, we will stop and wait, or if it's straight forward.  These two members, which shall remain unnamed didn't stop at the junction.  We were pretty sure they went down the wrong way because of what the sign was called.  I was NOT impressed.  They were adding at least 15 minutes of hiking and the possibility of missing the bus to our campsite.  Boy of boy.  Off we go running after these two idiots. I say to John, when we catch up to them, we should tell them we have to go back because they are going the wrong way.  He was like, no, no, it's not that big of a deal... I was like what?  It is a big deal.  My feet are killing me I don't need to be walking more than I have to.  Plus, this is a safety issue -not only for them, but for the rest of us as well.  Remember the imminent storm?

We eventually caught up to them and let me tell you... they got an earful.  I told them we had to go back because we were going the wrong way -to which they replied well why are you following us.  Really?  Are you serious? That's your response?  I was livid.  I then reminded them... what the hell have we been doing for the past 9 days when we reached a junction before the guide?  We stop and wait. Seriously -what were they thinking?  Let's just say they got the message.  I'm on vacation -I should not have to use my principal voice on adults!

We did make it to the campground before the rain started.  Funny how storms work here.  We heard thunder for a long time -all the while we were coming down the mountain -almost an hour.  Then the rain and more lightning and thunder.  It lasts a couple of hours for sure.  Funny because at home, thunderstorms are very short.  Not the case here!

The two men never apologized to me.  I think they were afraid... as they should've been 😉





No comments:

Post a Comment