Sunday, September 2, 2018

Keep on hiking

Guess what!  Another early morning!  Our wake up call was at 6:30 - the wake up call is Nelly singing at our door.  -what a nice way to wake up!  Breakfast this morning was fruits and oatmeal made from quinoa.  It tasted better than oatmeal at home - and the texture was way better.  I was able to eat my portion!  After breakfast and before heading off, we had the women from the nearby village demonstrate their weaving.  I bought a beautiful hat that intend on wearing all winter!

We began our trek at about 9am.  The first part of the walk was fairly easy, offering beautiful views of the mountains.  We had a bit of a hike up to a house where we had lunch - soup and some sort of egg and potato thing.  It was actually quite tasty.  This house belongs to the manager of the past lodge - or something like that - I'm not too sure.  It's very simple "mud hut".  I really don't think I could live here - it must be freezing cold at night - worse than the lodges...  The "washroom" if you can call them that
are pretty awful.  The door is holding on my a thread and is just a couple planks holding on I don't know how!  Inside is a little hole that is quite disgusting.  I couldn't take a photo of it as I was not going to stay in there any longer than needed!  The hole wasn't quite big enough for people to aim in... if you know what I mean... argh - gross.  I prefer to pee in nature - Thank God I didn't have to poop!!  I would not have been able to!

After lunch, we refill our water supplies and off we went to continue our journey.  Our next lodge is called Macharacay.  I was really happy to see the lodge as the journey was a difficult one! Had a headache for most of the day as we continue to climb in altitude.  By dinner, I was feeling a little nauseous and my headache wasn't leaving even with strong meds.  I decided to sit on the couch next to the fire as I just wasn't able to eat.  A few minutes after sitting by the fire, I was really feeling like crap.  Eric checked my oxygen and it was just a bit low.  Said he would check it again after dinner.  I decided to go to bed and try to sleep it off. 

Once in bed, I guess people noticed I had "disappeared".  Remi came to check on me and saw I didn't look too good I guess as Eric quickly came and checked my oxygen again.  He decided to put me on oxygen - told me to take deep breaths for 10 minutes.  Let me tell you - 10 minutes of oxygen was like a miracle!  I'd say about 15 to 30 minutes later all my symptoms were gone - headache -gone! Nausea -gone!  I felt really tired, but that I can handle!  I didn't feel like I was dying anymore!

I wasn't the only one feeling like this tonight.  I believe 3 or 4 of us received oxygen tonight.

What a day!  I sure hope tomorrow will feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment